There is a great wickedness, and stupidity akin to wickedness, let loose in the world in the early decades of the 21st century. It is not dissimilar to what was happening a century ago and it seems that the world’s collective memory cycle at present is no more than 100 years. After this it repeats the same catastrophic errors which brought calamity down on its head within the span of a single, extended human lifetime.
I find I cannot for the present say anything fresh or compelling about the tragic conflicts and psychotic fantasies which are tearing the fabric of the Middle East and related regions apart, along with the re-emergence of modern Mankind’s most enduring evils, that of anti-Semitism. Others have said it better, but our much of our world remains deaf and blind. Education is inadequate and it appears that only catastrophe and suffering will bring the lessons home.
So this will be my last blog for the present. I intend to get on with my own life and within that context try to conduct myself productively, charitably and cheerfully.
Former U.S. President Bill Clinton told India’s NDTV: “Hamas was perfectly well aware of what would happen if they started raining rockets into Israel. They fired one thousand and they have a strategy designed to force Israel to kill their own (ie. Gazan) civilians so that the rest of the world will condemn them (Israel).”
“In the short and medium term Hamas can inflict terrible public relations damage by forcing (Israel) to kill Palestinian civilians to counter Hamas. But it’s a crass strategy that takes all of our eyes off the real objective which is a peace that gets Israel security and recognition and a peace that gets the Palestinians their state.”
Clinton had the moral clarity and simple courage to state one obvious, utterly incontrovertable truth which public theatrics, media spin, selective reporting and ostensibly “objective” and “impartial” analysis by media commentators are designed to obscure. Here is some further clarification.
- Hamas initiated this war by firing of hundreds of rockets indiscriminately into Israel in the certain knowledge that Israel would have to respond.
- It has created an extraordinarily elaborate and expensive physical terror infrastructure, while all the time claiming “occupation” and impoverishment.
- It has deliberately buried this infrastructure within its civilian population, including hospitals, schools and mosques.
- It has openly called upon its civilian population to ignore Israeli warnings in order to serve as human shields. In some cases it has used coercion.
- The HAMAS charter calls for a genocidal war against the Jews and it conducts open incitement of its population, including especially its children, to martyrdom and murder of infidels.
- It is part of the network of Jihadi terror groups (and tyrannical goverments) operating within the Middle East, North Africa, parts of sub-Saharan Africa and parts of the Asian subcontinent which are responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths and over 10 million refugees. There is no sign that this is abating and, together with Islamist infiltration of Western countries, constitutes a threat to Western civilisation. This is well understood by almost all Western leaders
- The war is largely a propaganda exercise with three main objectives: firstly, to galvanise Hamas’s wavering support base in the Islamic world and in the West, secondly, to demonise Israel around the world so as to reduce its capacity for self-defense and, thirdly, to demoralise Israel through the capture of hostages and mounting casualties (perhaps through a lucky missile strike which penetrates Israeli defenses).
- The main weapon in the propaganda war in the West is the death of Gazan civilians, especially women and children. For example, Hamas has sent instructions to its social media support base to call every death “an innocent civilian” and to begin reports of resistance actions with the phrase “In response to the cruel Israeli attack,…” and conclude with the phrase “This many people have been martyred since Israel launched its aggression against Gaza.” Thus its own people, and especially its children, are treated as no more than propaganda fodder.
These are the truths which manufactured outrage, blatant lies and the “Equivalence Hoax” are designed to obscure. The intended outcome of such smoke and mirrors is to invert reality so that Israel is framed as the aggressor responsible for the deaths of Gazan civilians and children while Hamas, the deliberate instigator, is depicted as victim.
Wickedness is not a popular word nowadays in sophisticated circles, but this manipulated manufacture of outrage is evil beyond all words at my disposal. It is comparable in its sheer perversion to Nazi propaganda and is intended to serve the same genocidal purpose.
One last point: while Clinton was honest enough to point to the elephant in the room (assiduously being ignored by the media) he wavered when it came to drawing conclusions. The Palestinians, whether in Gaza or the West Bank, have finally forfeited their already dubious right to a state (or states) of their own.
See this vide0
From a personal friend and colleague in Israel “Mike, I have mentioned previously that my son-in-law comes from a Moshav on the border of Gaza. At present his father and two of his sisters and families stay there. Today a tunnel was discovered which leads from Gaza into this Moshav, Nativ ha-asara. Luckily it was discovered before it was used to attack the moshav.”
Pictures you won’t see in the media:
From Adv. Charles M Abelsohn, Kfar Sava, Israel.
“In their letter of July 18, 2014 … condemning Israel, the South African Jews fail in their ignorance both of the facts and the law. Bombastic declarations of violations of law without supporting factual evidence and legal citations may give the signatories emotional satisfaction but are otherwise meaningless and misleading.
The letter states that Israel justifies the current Israeli operations by using the deaths, (cold-blooded murder might have been more correct), of three young Israelis. Fiction. The operations are a result of 15,000 rockets launched at Israel`s civilian population between 2005 and December 2013, increased to 450 between January and mid-June 2014 (before the “deaths”), increased again to 300 in the three weeks until 7 July 2014 and by nearly 2000 since. This multi-year barrage both explains and justifies Israel`s blockade of Hamas, found to be lawful by the UN`s Palmer Commission. Each single one of the 18,000 rocket launching against a civilian population with an intent to kill constitutes an individual violation of, and war crime under, Article 51 of the UN Charter giving Israel the “inherent right” of self-defense against armed attack. So international law sides with Israel.
Further, while the 50 signatories may be unanimous as between themselves that the scale of the Israeli attack is disproportionate, international law is unanimous that the Israeli attacks comply. The writers in fact do not even understand proportionality in this context. Proportionality in the Law of War (Protocol to the Geneva Conventions) has nothing to do with the relative number of casualties on the two sides. (The SA Jews are probably only alive due to, amongst others, the bombing of Essen, Bremen, Cologne, Dresden and Hamburg with well over 100,000 German civilian deaths in these bombings and about two million altogether; also let`s mention Hiroshima – 75,000 immediate civilian deaths).
Rather it refers to the military value of a target (how much of an impact would the target’s destruction have on the outcome of a battle or war) versus the expected threat to the lives or property of civilians. If the target has high military value, then it can be attacked even if some civilian casualties will result. Thus Nato`s attack on Serbia resulted in 1500 civilian deaths and no Nato losses but is regarded as, and was found by the ICC to be, justifiable. What has to be “proportional” (the term is not actually even used in the relevant conventions) is the military value of the target versus the risk to civilians.
By this measure, Israel’s efforts to destroy missiles before they can be fired at Israeli civilians, even if that places Palestinian civilians at risk, conforms perfectly to the Laws of War. There is no requirement that Israel place the lives of its own citizens in danger solely to protect the lives of Palestinian civilians. Not only is there no “incontrovertible evidence” that Israel has targeted Palestinian civilians (Marikana is recalled in this context), the evidence is totally in favour of the most moral army in the modern era, when Palestinians are informed in advance of the intended target. Israel is using missile defense to protect its civilians, and Hamas is using their civilians to protect their missiles
Even the Palestinians know something the SA Jews do not. The Palestinian representative to the UNHRC Mr Ibrahim Khreisheh confirmed the legality of Israel’s conduct to stop rocket fire from Gaza, in which Israeli forces always warn civilians before launching airstrikes. With regard to Hamas, he continued: “The missiles that are now being launched against Israel – each and every missile constitutes a crime against humanity, whether it hits or misses, because it is directed at civilian targets.” The SA Jews are invited to Gaza to see this evidence with their own eyes and, in Jewish tradition, repent.”
And so say all of us. Has this been published?